Sorry everyone, life got busy for a couple of weeks there. Climbing trips, work, and school have had me tied up with little time to do much else lately. Of course I’ve still been spending time in the kitchen, but taking pictures before dinner has not been an appealing option in the midst of it all. I did need snacks to power me through all of the work though, and multitasking foods were, quite obviously the best fit for the job.
When you can eat one food for breakfast, snacks, and dessert, it automatically has a leg up on nearly everything else in the pantry. Who doesn’t want to eat dessert for breakfast, or for a snack? I know I do, and that’s where this breakfast “cake” came in.
I was in quite a tropical mood when I was creating this multitasking winner, and luckily enough I had a giant bag of frozen mango sitting in the freezer just waiting to be used up. And what pairs better with mango than coconut? Freshly toasted coconut, of course! So, into the batter it went, along with some chopped almonds for just a bit of crunch.
The cake itself would have been good enough, but why not add a streusel topping, just to make things a little more decadent? We are going to be eating this for breakfast, snacks, and dessert, after all. A simple mix of rolled oats, coconut oil, and coconut sugar sprinkled over the batter really rounds out this treat, and keeps you coming back for more.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or line with parchment paper an 8-inch round pie pan.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together applesauce, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and ground flaxseed.
- Mix in whole wheat pastry flour, rolled oats, toasted coconut, baking powder, and salt until just incorporated.
- Fold in mango and almonds until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pie pan and smooth with a spatula. Set aside while you prepare the streusel.
- For the streusel: In a small bowl, combine rolled oats, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and whole wheat pastry flour. mix together with clean hands until you achieve a sandy, crumbly textured.
- Sprinkle streusel evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
Do your eating habits change when you’re busier than usual? What are your favorite quick snacks or meals?